JOB SUMMARY: Serves as a Medical Assistant to an assigned physician or non-physician provider. Assists in minor surgical and diagnostic procedures. Works directly and courteously with patients regarding medical questions and procedures. This position relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job; persons must be able to take direction well and demonstrate understanding of such guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with patients in a friendly and effective manner on medical issues and concerns
- Assists provider in surgical procedures, diagnostic testing and collecting procedure specimens
- Prepares patients for the visit with provider by recording all necessary vital signs and a history in the electronic health record
- Handles phone calls and relays telephone messages to provider from patients or other callers within 4 hours
- Communicates with pharmacies for prescription orders after obtaining consent from physician
- Communicates with patients by telephone, in person, or by secure email to relay orders from provider regarding their health care within 4 hours
- Responsible for restocking of individual exam rooms on a daily basis
- Responsible for maintaining a clean workstation, including disinfection of desk with a germicidal spray
- All MAs are responsible for reporting shortages or need for additional supplies to the nurse supervisor before need is critical.
- Medical Assistants will be responsible on-call duties during provider’s call day; assisting patients from other providers
- All MAs are to be CPR certified and familiar with the location and use of the crash cart.
- MAs are expected to attend a minimum of 50% of all scheduled department meetings each year.
- Demonstrates a true understanding of team-based approach to care, emphasizing the following:
- Working with Reception Services and provider in daily huddle to review daily schedule;
- Setting up appropriate follow-up tasks, addressing standing orders and care coordination, including obtaining tests and referral results, etc. in collaboration with the Referral Coordinator;
- Identifies patients that require population management with specific clinical conditions or diagnoses where Care Plans need to be implemented in the patient visit. Also, identifies vulnerable population and high risk patients and follows proper team-based approach to care.
- Other duties as assigned.
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION: Evaluated on performance of assigned duties within the department and teamwork approach. Positive relationships with co-workers as well as patients also considered part of evaluation criteria.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports directly to the Director of Nursing.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess and/or maintain Medical Assistant certification or be actively pursuing continuing education towards certification.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Excellent communication and people skills. Must be able to work extra hours as needed in order to serve patients. Willingness to be a team player. Ability to use computer extensively in daily work activities; be able to type at least 40 wpm
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org